Ss. Peter and Paul Catholic School
A Ministry of Ss. Peter & Paul Parish
Saints Peter and Paul School (SSPP) spans the years of preschool through 8th grade, with an enrollment of approximately 200 students (Catholic and non-Catholic). We have a history of strong academics, excellent faculty, and the support of a wonderful Parish. Our most important mission is the formation of “disciples of Christ”, and that is our school motto. If you are interested in your child(ren) attending Saints Peter and Paul School, please feel free to call us at any time, we would be happy to talk to you and give you a tour of our facility.
The mission of Saints Peter and Paul Catholic School is to assist parents in the formation of their children as disciples of Jesus Christ through academic, spiritual, moral, social, and physical education to become responsible Christian citizens in a global society.
Ss. Peter & Paul School provides a Catholic education to families in and around Boonville, Missouri. The quality education provided at the school is available to the entire community and focuses on the formation of the individual as a Disciple of Jesus Christ. Ss. Peter & Paul School believes that a solid academic education grows from Christian values taught and applied to every aspect of life. Ss. Peter & Paul School families are led by the commitments they make to God through The Stewardship Covenant Process. The three areas of stewardship are Faith, Time & Talent, and Treasure. The covenants are reciprocal and cooperative commitments lived out by parents, students, and faculty to spread the gospel message.
Saints Peter and Paul School provide a safe learning environment in which qualified faculty strives to meet the academic, spiritual, moral, social, and physical needs of each student. Faculty endeavor to instill a love of and desire for learning in their students.
Ss. Peter & Paul School believes that parents are the primary role models and educators of their children. The school will assist parents in nurturing the God-given gifts of each student to ensure growth into a well-rounded individual. Recognizing each child’s unique abilities, the school strives to create a learning environment that promotes excellence through an emphasis on cooperation rather than competition. Ss. Peter & Paul School encourages strong academic achievement and emphasizes the following attributes to help children reach their potential:
- Ambition for faith, prayer, and service to others
- Respect for self and others
- Discipline through responsibility
- Motivation through ownership of the learning process and our environment
- Adaptability to the changing world and the needs of all learners
- Curiosity to seek knowledge
With Christ, these attributes form a commitment to our faith community that allows the school to fulfill its mission…the formation of Disciples of Jesus Christ.
Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Schools is located east of Boonville’s Main Street in a quiet residential neighborhood. The school is blessed with plenty of outdoor space with a small park across 7th Street.
The parish school was established between 1851 and 1856 and in 1910 came under the direction of the Sisters of St. Francis of Milwaukee. The original school stood behind the present rectory, which the parish office building now stands. Lay teachers taught the first 25 years and then the Sisters of St. Francis of Milwaukee arrived in 1885. The old school became overcrowded by 1923.
In 1925, at the same time, the main building of the current school was being completed at a cost of $80,000, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Concordia, Kansas assumed the direction of the school. The Sisters of St. Joseph maintained a significant presence in the school until the 1980s. Lay faculty now serve the school, some of which were benefactors of the direction provided by the sisters.
The school graduated its first senior class of six in 1929. In total, 292 students graduated from the high school until its closing in 1969. Since then the elementary school has continued to educate children of parish families and those families in the larger community desiring a faith-based education for their children.
In 1969, an addition to the school was completed, consisting of four classrooms designed to serve lower elementary grades. Following that, with the exception of the replacement of the heating system and addition of air conditioning in the early 2000s, no major renovations or expansion projects were undertaken.
In 2009, the “Continuing the Vision” Campaign resulted in the renovation of the existing stage, gymnasium, cafeteria, and kitchen into a modern kitchen, spacious cafeteria, and a larger pre-school classroom. In 2011, work was started on the long-planned multipurpose building to house a new gym, stage, locker rooms, and restrooms and was completed in time for the 2012/2013 school year. Additional expansion took place on the mezzanine level with a new computer lab and art room during the 2013/2014 school year.